Thursday, September 16, 2010

A day's progress



I'm adding layer over layer of details and am pleased with how it's looking so far.

I've been asked on more than one occasion if I'm inspired by North American native work - and although I haven't always seen it, I definitely feel it with this work. I'm using the usual archetypes and colours that define my work, however, there's something about this piece ... perhaps it's the circular format, the strong outlining, the bold blocks of colour, or all three elements that lends it a native art feeling. I decided to take to the internet and do a bit of research and, after looking at hundreds of images, I recognized elements similar to those in works by Norval Morrisseau. What do you think?

2 comments:

Giggles said...

Not usually a fan of native art, I love Norvals compositions,and color combination....really beautiful!
Your pieces are totally a unique style that sets you apart with much softer edges. Maybe a few of the same elements, but I don't get the native art feel when I see your beautiful pieces! Thanks for sharing.

Barbara said...

Hey Giggles - thank you for the positive feedback!