Friday, February 16, 2007

After "Villages" = After Picasso



Now that Villages of the South of France is hanging in the gallery, I'm preparing for my next show - "After Picasso". I've already finished a few works for this show (see earlier posts), and now I'm working on a 3-painting suite based on Picasso's 1957 oil painting, "Portrait of Jacqueline". Picasso painted hundreds of portraits of Jaqueline Roque, whom he married in 1961.

Now, before you say, "hey, you can't copy another artist's work!" I'd like to point out that rather than copying Picasso's works I am reinterpreting them in my own style. Picasso himself reinterpreted hundreds of paintings by such artists as Delacroix, Manet, Velazquez, van Gogh, and Matisse, only to name a few, so I am quite comfortable borrowing a page from his book (both literally and figuratively).

As you can see I have borrowed Picasso's composition and dark/light contrast, and even that weirdly positioned hand, and incorporated my usual colour palette, symbology, and painting style.

Stay tuned for the second painting of the suite...

No comments: